eastjapan

Tsuchiura Castle : A Study of Japanese Bibliography

This is all about Tsuchiura Castle Ruins you want to know.
Every information you get on this site will be from a credible source based on Japanese history (books for reference).

"Kojō ezu(picture in Edo Period)" from 国立国会図書館

Collected by the Inagaki family, the Toba Daimyō from the mid-Edo period to the Meiji Restoration, as materials for military studies. There are about 350 illustrations, but there is no uniformity because only illustrations of castles, illustrations including castle towns, and old battlefield illustrations are mixed.

Another typical example of a castle picture in the Edo period is "The Shōhō Shiroezu", picture of the castle and castle town that the Edo Shogunate ordered the daimyō to create and submit,aggregating military information such as the buildings inside the castle, the height of the stone wall, the width of the moat and the water depth, etc., it also details the location and shape of the castle town and the mountain river.

Profile : Tsuchiura Castle Ruins

LocationTsuchiura City, Ibaraki Prefecture
Also known asKi-jō ( "Ki" means "turtle", reffer to below)
Type of castleFlatland
Mountain's name
Elevation
ConditionNo main keep but other buildings
Year built1429~1441
DesignationIbaraki Historic Sites
Abolished1873
Castle lordIzumi Saburō
Refurbishment lordMatsudaira Nobuoki
Shitting statue of Matsudaira Nobuoki from Wikipedia
Family Crest of Matsudaira Clan from "Bukan Complete Works" (produced by CODH) adapted from "Classical Japanese National Data Set" (Kokubunken Collection)

The family crest was originally created from the pattern that the emperor and the royal family put on the kimono, and the pattern was made into a fixed pattern, and the one attached to his own oxcart is said to be the beginning of the family crest. The warlords drew large crests on the flag-fingers, used to distinguish enemy views on the battlefield, and used by the generals to determine which warlords were active and how much.

Tsuchiura Castle admission

admission fee : 105yen (Adult) 50yen (under high school students) ※Tsuchiura City Museum
admission time : am9-pm4:30
closing period : every Monday December28-January 4   reference official site

Tsuchiura Castle Google Map

Tsuchiura Castle Images 

Higashi Yagura (the eastside turret)


After Toyotomi Hideyoshi's "Odawara Conqest" in 1590, the entire Tsuchiura area became the place of Yūki Hideyasu, the second son of Tokugawa Ieyasu. Tsuchiura is often hit by floods. But the Honmaru, located in the center of the triple-folded water moat, didn't submerge and looked like a turtle shell floating in the water. So It was also called "Turtle castle". Honmaru had a palace in the center, and two double turrets solidified from east to west.
Nishi Yagura (the westside turret )

Built in Honmaru with Higashi (East) Yagura. although destroyed by a typhoon in 1949, it was restored using the old building method with a small double turret.
Taikomon Gate

The main gate in front of the main building. Reconstructed in 1656, it is the only existing turret in the Kantō region.
Matsudaira Nobuoki underwent a major renovation, incorporating castle construction techniques by tactics of Kōshū Style in 1685, and the current territory was completed. The Ninomaru was a contour-shaped arrangement around the Honmaru, and there was a defensive form in which the Sannomaru and West Kuruwa surrounded the central part from east to south.
Inner moat

It is now maintained as Kijō Park, and the earthwork has been changed to stone wall.
Shachi-gawara(killer whale roof tiles)

A killer whale, usually mounted on top of the main Keep, is an imaginary fish that discharges water in case of a fire.

-eastjapan

Copyright© JapaneseCastle.JP , 2020 All Rights Reserved.