eastjapan

Sugaya Yakata : A Study of Japanese Bibliography

This is all about Sugaya Yakata Ruins you want to know.
Every information you get on this site will be from a credible source based on Japanese history (books for reference).

"Hatakeyama Tadashige carrying a horse over a bulbul"

Ukiyo-e picture in Edo period written by Utagawa Kuniyoshi from Public Domain.  

Profile : Sugaya Yakata Ruins  

LocationRanzan-machi, Hiki District, Saitama Prefecture
Also known asSugaya Castle
Type of castleFlatland
Mountain's name
Elevation
ConditionNo main keep but other buildings
DesignationNational Historic Sites
Year builtUnknown
AbolishedUnknown
Castle lordHatakeyama Clan (Hatakeyama Shigetada)
Refurbishment lordYamanouchi-Uesugi Clan
"Hatakeyama Shigetada -Yoshitoshi's warrior picture-" Ukiyo-e picture in Meiji period written by Tsukioka Yoshitoshi from Public Domain.

He was honored for his heroism during his lifetime, and was called "Samurai's Book" because of his innocent personality.
Family Crest of Hatakeyama Clan from Wikipedia

The family crest was originally created from the pattern that the emperor and the royal family put on the kimono, and the pattern was made into a fixed pattern, and the one attached to his own oxcart is said to be the beginning of the family crest. The warlords drew large crests on the flag-fingers, used to distinguish enemy views on the battlefield, and used by the generals to determine which warlords were active and how much.

Sugaya Yakata admission  

admission fee : 100yen (Adult) 50yen(High school students) for free under junior high ※Saitama Prefectural Ranzan Historical Site Museum
admission time : am9-pm4:30
closing period : Monday (open on public holidays) Dec29-Jan3 reference official site

Sugaya Yakata Google Map

Sugaya Yakata Images 

Sugaya Yakata aerial view

It was a castle built on a plateau on the north side of the confluence of the Toki and Tsuki rivers, and the Kamakura Kaidō passed nearby. The main building was located slightly south of the center, and Nino-Kuruwa and Sanno-Kuruwa were located on the north side of the main building, and the defense was strengthened with earthworks and trench. The main enclosure retains the remnants of a medieval single-walled castle, but it also has the characteristics of a flatland type castle with wide Kuruwas, the large scale of the earthworks, and the fact that they have horizontal Yokoyagakari (shooting point with arrows).
Sugaya Yakata is the residence of Hatakeyama Shigetada , a leading Gokenin in the early days of the Kamakura Shogunate. Hatakeyama moved to Sugaya district, a key point on the Kamakura Kaidō, after taking the place of Shigetada, but in 1205 he was accused of rebellion by the Hojō clan, and was destroyed. After the times went down, Yamanouchi-Uesugi Family rebuilt the site as Sugaya Castle in 1488, It was established and used as a base until the first half of the 16th century.
The earthworks and trench of the main building.

The horizontal Yokoyagakari is clear, the trench is deep and wide, and the earthworks are high.
The earthworks and trench in near Nino-Kuruwa
near Sanno-Kuruwa

The current remains are the ruins of Sugaya Castle, which was expanded and renovated during the Warring States period. Since there is almost no damage due to development in later years, the earthworks and trench of the Warring States period are left in the original form.

-eastjapan

Copyright© JapaneseCastle.JP , 2020 All Rights Reserved.